Thursday, July 17, 2008

Grief Observed

Dear Reese,
I think I held my breath all day. It's as if the world paused today to say goodbye to you. We wish our overlap of time with you had been much longer.

We will miss finding out if you have your mother's generosity, kindness and warmth of spirit and your father's sense of humor and ability to make friends. We will wonder if you would have been a basketball player like Brig or a dancer like Cait. Would you be blessed with a darling Carter nose or the larger and more "exotic" Wilson nose?

Luke will miss head butting you to show you how much he loves you.
Nikolai will miss sharing his cars with you and then taking them back.
Uncle Steve will miss singing you the BYU fight song.
I will miss blowing raspberries on your stomach and kissing your neck until your giggles turn to hiccups.

Your parents tears etch your memory in our hearts. We let you leave us not willingly, but because you are already gone. With hope we wait to meet you again, Reese -- littlest member of our big family. We love you.

Love,
Aunt Mary

12 comments:

robin marie said...

this is so terribly sad. your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You have said it so beautifully. I'm sure your words will comfort. We do miss her.
Nana

Emily and Aaron Carter said...

You are really so eloquent and I appreciate your perspective on Brig and Cait's loss. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Adrienne said...

Beautifully written. It really captures the precious connection between aunt and niece.

We are praying for your whole family during this tough time.

Adrienne

Anonymous said...

that's beautiful Mare, thanks so much, we love you and are so grateful for your support and love.

Lisa Michelle said...

Ditto on what I commented on kate's blog - I really wish we all lived closer - or that distance somehow was not an obstacle during times like this. Hugs.

LauraJ said...

What a sweet note Mary - you all have constantly been in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs and love to all of you!

Kristen said...

What beautiful words and way to express your thoughts.

Emily said...

That was beautiful. My heart aches for Cait and Brig. What a special tribute for Baby Reese from a special Aunt. XOXO I will keep your whole family in my prayers!

Cathy said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. May God's peace be with all of you at this difficult time.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry, Mary. I really should have checked this earlier. I didn't know. My heart goes out to your family. Reese is blessed to belong to a family like yours. I'll say a prayer for all of you tonight.

S. Gibson said...

I love what you wrote Mary, such a beautiful tribute to a beautiful family. We are praying for you guys.