Of course I'm not objective or anything, but I think my mom is brilliant. I had to copy and paste one of her posts because I think it is just perfect. She was writing in response to a thread about being Christian, what the claim of the one true church means, what it doesn't mean, etc. . Here it is. Perfect!
Start:
No one has raised the issue of D&C 10:67-70. I am a card carrying member of the LDS church but I wouldn't presume to say that you have be a member of my church to be a true Christian or disciple of Christ. Christ's sheep are those that hear and obey His voice.
D&C 10:76 Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.
68 Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me; therefore he is not of my church.
69 And now, behold, whosoever is of my church, and endureth of my church to the end, him will I establish upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.
70 And now, remember the words of him who is the life and light of the world, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Amen.
The Redeemer, as He reminds us here, is the life and light of the whole world. He has servants wherever he needs them and wants to place them. I'll name a few favorites of mine: Eric Liddell (of Chariots of Fire fame and a great great great uncle of mine), Nora Lam (Chinese missionary), William Tyndale (read the marvelous biography of this amazing man called "Fire in the Bones" by S. Michael Wilcox),C.S. Lewis, Oswald Chambers (read his book, My Utmost for His Highest, and be inspired),
How very arrogant of us to assume that we are the only ones doing His work. While it is true that no one else is doing what we are doing, building temples for example, and sealing families there, it is not the only work Christ is doing in the world. God bless Dr. James Dobson. I raised my family according to his books. He could not be as influential as he is if he was Mormon. God bless all the missionaries in China through the years that have planted churches and given their lives to that work.
Don't these people need the authorized saving ordinances of the true gospel of Jesus Christ? Of course. But I am sure that the ordinance ratifies the heart's truth the way a marriage ceremony ratifies a relationship. It doesn't create it. I can imagine scenes in Paradise like this one: An angel taps Mother Teresa on the shoulder. "Theresa. They are doing your ordinances in the Los Angeles Temple." "Well, bless my soul! I'll be right there!" I wouldn't call it a technicality. It's more than that of course. But the real work was done on the earth, when this woman gave herself to Christ through a lifetime of service.
I believe this is what Section 10 means when it speaks of those who "repent and come unto Christ" as being "his true church" and that those who are of THIS church will eventually be established on the rock; that is, established with all the ordinances and all the truth needed to continue in the eternal path of discipleship they began on earth. A living connection with the True Vine is what is needed in this life. And we Mormons don't have a corner on that.
Humbly,
E-A
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
she is right on the money! thanks for sharing mary!
Post a Comment